Python is a high level programming language. It was developed in 1991 by Guido van Rossum and it has become the most popular language for creating applications.
With its easy to write and understand syntax, it can be used to develop enterprise level applications. Using Python, a variety of applications can be created such as
- Desktop applications: Programs that run on a single computer on which they are installed.
- Web Applications: Centralized applications that can be accessed from anywhere using a browser.
- Mobile Applications: Python can also be used to develop mobile apps which run on smartphones.
Python has a plethora of features which contribute towards popularizing it. Python is
- Object Oriented: It supports object oriented programming principles. It also supports multiple inheritance unlike Java.
- Interactive: Python provides a built-in shell or prompt which enables user to write short programs at the command prompt rather than create a file for every program.
- Procedural: Python programs are executed one step at a time with full support for looping, separating common code blocks as functions, conditional blocks etc.
- Easy to Read and Write: Writing code on python is much easier as compared to other languages. Python uses indentation to denote block of code rather than curly braces as in most programming languages.
This makes it easier to read and understand.
- Interpreted: There is no need to compile python programs. They are processed at execution time.
- Portable: Python programs can run on all operating systems. Also, an application written on one operating system can be executed on a different operating system.
- Dynamically Typed: Variables in python are not assigned any type during code writing. Their type is resolved at run time.
That is, at the time of development, the type of a variable is not known, it is evaluated at run time.
- Open Source: Using python to develop applications and sell them does not cost you anything since it is open source. You can also modify and customize python as you like.
This python tutorial will guide you through all its concepts with examples. Feel free to ask for explanation on any of the topics in the comments section below.